Citizens of some non-EU countries are required to hold a valid visa when travelling to the Schengen area.

A Schengen visa has to be obtained from the Embassy/Consulate of the Schengen State, which will be the main destination (i.e. where the most nights will be spent), during the visit to the Schengen Area.

If an equal amount of time is spent in different Schengen States during a single visit to the Schengen Area, then the Schengen visa must be obtained with the Embassy/Consulate of the Schengen State, which will be entered first.

The documentation related to the means of travel and accommodation must cover the complete itinerary of the visit to the Schengen Area; that is travel tickets must be provided, not only for the travel from and to the Schengen Area, but also for the travel between the different Schengen States.

A Scheng visa is valid for: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Tourism/ Business

You should make a previous appointment going personally to the Spanish Consulate in Teheran. You must  bring two copies of the personal data of your passport and the original invitation letter (in case of business trip) or booked acomodation  (for tourism trip) from Sunday to Thursday from 8.30 to 10.30.

The requirements to submit the application form are available in Farsi in the Spanish Consulate in Teheran


1. Fully completed application form

2. Passport, with at least 2 adjacent blank visa pages, valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip and not issued more than 10 years ago as of the date of return from your scheduled trip. The same applies to passports issued more than 10 years ago that have since been extended.

3. One recent passport-size, colour photo with white background.
4. Proof of financial means to cover the cost of the intended stay (e.g., bank statements for the last 3 months, proof of employment or last 3 pay slips, proof of income. If you are self employed, a business license and tax return forms)
5. Fully paid and confirmed return travel tickets showing proof of payment.
6. Fully booked accommodation reservation or Original invitation letter from host in Spain:
If invited by a person residing in Spain the original invitation letter (and copy) must be issued by the police authorities in Spain, dated and signed along with a photocopy of the host’s passport/ID card. If the host in Spain is a non-EU citizen, then a copy of the host’s Spanish Residence permit is also required.

Or for business travel:

Present a letter of support from the company concerned in Spain, and a letter from your employer stating your position within the company and the reason for your business travel. Either letter should clarify who is responsible for expenses and where you will be staying.

7. Travel Insurance covering the intended period of stay with a minimum coverage of € 30,000 for emergency medical and repatriation clause in case of death. If your travel insurance is covered through your bank, provide a recent (not older than 1 month) letter from the bank which clearly states this.

8. Visa fee

All documents must be in English or Spanish language, or translated into Spanish by a certified, professional translator.

Ana Marina Dorismond. Ocean Project Director.